Sunday, April 19, 2015

You is kind, you is smart, you is important

I'm not sure if any of you have read the book, The Help, or have seen the movie, but that is where the title for this week's blog comes from.

If you haven't read it...or watched the movie....go do it! It's wonderful!

Now onto the topic of the week!

Everyone has those days where we feel like we are just stupid, or boring, or lame, or not worth anyone's time. You know those days? I have them, my friends have them, you have them.

The thing is though, we aren't stupid, boring, lame, and we are totally worth anyone's time.

But life gets us down sometimes and our minds tend to doubt our capabilities or sometimes even our worth.

So what do we do?

We can mope around and have our moments, sure, there's nothing wrong with that, but after you mope (my best friend only gives me like 5 minutes to mope, sometimes I'll get 10), what do you do?

You pick yourself up and remind yourself that you are awesome!

But really, there's a little exercise that I've found to be helpful for moments like these.

Once again it's all about writing things down...or you can say them out loud, but I like writing them down. I feel like it really sticks if I do!

Write down:
3 things you are good at
3 compliments you have received
3 things you like about yourself
3 challenges you have overcome

By writing things down, you're not only bring awareness to the fact that you have positive qualities, but you're also changing your mood while you do it. It makes you go back and think, "oh wow, I totally forgot this happened" or "I remember when she gave me that compliment!".

So next time you feel like you're a plastic bag, drifting through the wind and wanting to start again.
Or you feel so paper thin, like a house of cards, one blow from caving in....

Sorry I had to!

In all seriousness though, next time you are having a bad day and you feel worthless or not good enough, I want you to try writing those things down and see how it changes your mood!

And always remember....




No comments:

Post a Comment