Sunday, April 12, 2015

Nighty Night

This week I want to talk about something that is really important for our bodies...especially if you have a chronic illness or disability.

Let's talk about sleep.

Now most of you might be like me, where we feel like we don't get enough sleep because we have so much we need to do.

But in order to take care of ourselves, we need to sleep in order to get the energy we need to function.
Those who have chronic illnesses and disabilities rely on sleep to provide their bodies with the rest they need.
This can also apply to those who don't have disabilities.


Yes!! And I'm going to tell you some great ways that will help you get the sleep you need.

1. The first thing is to set a schedule.
Now, I'm a stickler for making sure my sleep schedule is not messed with. I'm in bed by 10 at the latest and I just watch mindless tv until I'm asleep by 11 then I'm up before my alarm goes off around 7. My body likes the schedule and it knows that if it gets more or less sleep than normal, that somethings off. 

2. Don't force yourself to go to sleep.
This one can be hard because we know if we don't get the sleep we need then we are going to be cranky or in a bad mood, but don't force it. They say if you haven't fallen asleep within the first 20 minutes to go read or do something calming. Don't watch TV because the bright lights will just keep you awake longer.

3. Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
Doing these things before bed or even a few hours before bed can affect your quality of sleep and your ability to even fall asleep.  

4. Avoid Naps.
This one I believe in! I don't take naps because I know I won't sleep at night. If you aren't like me though and love cat naps, then don't take one longer than an hour and don't take it later in the day. 

5. Only use your bed for sleeping.
This one is tough for me because my bed is just so comfortable, but the more activities you do in bed, the more your body will associate those activities to laying down. So the more you read or do homework on your bed, the more your body will think that it's time to rest. Then you won't get anything done!

6. Exercise and Eat well.
This is true for everything. However, don't eat big meals at least 2 hours before bed. But eating well and exercising can lead to your body becoming healthier which leads to better sleep!

7. Sleep in a comfortable environment, 
I hope everyone's bed is comfy! But by sleeping in a place where you feel comfortable, safe, and secure, it allows your body to relax more and fully rest. So splurge on that extra foam top or those ear plugs and eye mask you want...it just means you're working on getting more sleep at night so you can function better in the day!

If you work on these steps, you'll be sleeping like a puppy in no time!


No comments:

Post a Comment